Monday, July 27, 2015

The definition of...

fear
ˈfir/
noun
  1. 1.
    an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.


Above is the standard definition of fear (thanks Google!). So I'm ready to take the next step in my career and my life and I am just now realizing that I'm afraid of taking the next step because I actually don't know where to start or what to do. My interest change every year and my skill set is admirable but it's also comparably similar to skill sets held by other young professionals. The thought of entering another realm knowing that you are expected to have a certain level of understanding based on your "resume" is quite frightening because what if I fall flat on my face as I walk through the "door". 
Another harsh reality that I've faced upon exiting school is...it really does help to know the right people. Which is something that I have always been annoyed with because I wholeheartedly don't really believe in kissing someone's derriere and that you should get ahead in life by your work ethic. So for a brief stint, I tried my best to be sweet and coy...and quickly realized that I was being foolish because it wasn't genuine.
So what do I do...
After a brief discussion with living prophets a.k.a. my parents, I gathered the following:

1. It's ok to be nervous about the next step in life and in fact, it is inevitable that you will fall flat on your face a few times...you're not perfect...because you're not God.

2. The goal isn't to befriend everyone you come in contact with to get ahead...the goal is to leave a positive lasting impression on everyone you meet instead. Your work ethic will speak volumes and when you respect yourself and others, there is nowhere for you to go but up. 

3. Humans are supposed to change mentally and physically overtime, so it isn't a crime to change your interest. Just make sure that you are always honest with yourself about why your interests have changed and whether or not they are changing for pure reasons.

4. Be confident...not cocky and ask questions when you need help. 

5. You're our daughter, complete and total failure really isn't an option...we actually don't have time for that at all.

That parental unit of mine always keeps me in check. Onward.

~Olamide 


No comments:

Post a Comment