Thursday, March 31, 2016

The Value of a Penny (I Am a Money Magnet)

"At first I hardly recognized it. It didn't look like much. I stopped and picked it up and examined it. It was a gnarled coin. It looked like it had been run over many times. The edges were jagged. I could barely make out the face of Lincoln. One old, beat up penny. I was out for a walk in the neighborhood. On these walks I occasionally find a little money. Never very much: a penny here, a nickel there. But I always stop and pick it up, then toss it in a jar where I keep change." That excerpt is from Glenn Dromgoole's book, "The Power of a Penny".

How many of you have gone to a store, paid for your items and told the cashier to keep the change? Do you pass up FREE money on the ground if it is not a nickel, dime, quarter or dollar bill? If so why? I truly believe that many people do not value the penny. It is seen as worthless, however pennies add up. If there were five pennies on the ground, would you pick it up? If not, would you pick up a nickel? Both equate to the same amount and spend and save the same way.

I vividly remember, years ago while a student at Howard, sitting in the car at a drive thru window and an old friend throwing 4 pennies out of the window after the employee handed him his change. After questioning his actions, he told me, "They are just pennies". At that point I knew that we were not financially yoked, and that although this old friend wanted to make a lot of money, he did not see the current value in what he had now. My mother taught me at a very young age to learn how to count my money, save my money, and when I find money to pick it up because it is a Blessing. If you want to make money and grow your money, I believe that you have to value what you have and what is around you. No form of currency should be beneath you because at the end of the day it holds value.

I believe that words have POWER, so I have a daily affirmation that I recite about money and I will testify that I find money EVERYWHERE. I have a special savings account where I store my change and it continues to grow.

Next time you see a penny, pick it up and throw it into a savings account. Trust me, you will not regret it.

Daily Affirmation: I am a Money Magnet, I attract ALL Blessings! #BuildingGenerationalWealth

Peace, Love & Blessings,


Aminata B. Sow

No comments:

Post a Comment